This is a guest post by Mikaela Vargas of Pet Marketing Unleashed. Mikaela and I have worked on a lot of projects together and I’m excited to share her expertise here!
The struggle. How often do you sit down to blog and end up just scrolling through Facebook? Or…do you even attempt the struggle? So many pet business owners believe that they’re not ‘professional’ or ‘skilled enough’ writers, so blogging ends up falling to the wayside, leaving the words they could share to change their business in the dust.
Well, I’m here to tell you that you don’t have to be a professional writer to produce an awesome blog post. You also don’t have to stare at your screen willing a beautiful blog post to be written. Every single petpreneur can write wonderful blog posts. It all boils down to coming up with the best strategic blog post topics for your pet business. And that’s what we’re diving into below!
I’m pulling straight from my Blogging for Your Pet Biz course to give you tangible steps to come up with and finalize the best blog post topics for your pet business.
First, let’s address the number one question I get asked…
How often should I be blogging for my pet business?
The answer here depends on so many factors, but if you’re just getting started on blogging, don’t overwhelm yourself. Just figure out how many you’ll be able to maintain consistently.
If it’s only one blog post a month, that’s 100% fine. Once you refine your process, you can increase it from there. There’s no point in me saying, ‘You should be blogging at least 4 times a month’ and then you end up doing that for the first month and then never blogging again. Start small and build from there.
Okay, let’s get to the meat!
Best Pet Biz Blog Topics Step 1: Get in the right mindset!
I know this is where I lose people, but I’m asking you to bear with me and keep an open mind. This is the game-changer when it comes to producing amazing blog post topics for your pet business (or any other content for that matter).
I highly recommend getting into a comfortable position and meditating or sinking into your mind. If it’s been a stressful day and you don’t feel ready to try this, simply bookmark this page and come back to it.
Otherwise, let the inspiration of your dream business come forward. What do you see? Daydream about interacting with your dream client. Picture the most perfect exchange between that client and you. What do you feel with them? What does that bond look like? What are the emotions to describe working with the perfect client?
Once you’re done and feel you have more energy and excitement regarding your business, write down what you noticed.
Best Pet Biz Blog Topics Step 2: Brand Strategy Time
If you haven’t done this work yet, I highly recommend doing so. You can 100% work off of your meditation exercise to compile your brand strategy. Or, if you already have a simple one going, just build from there.
Here’s what we want to establish:
- What are your dream client’s biggest frustrations, concerns, motivators, etc.?
- What are they really looking for? Because, it’s not just, “I need a dog walker” or, “I need a photographer.” They’re looking for something deeper and that’s where you need to go to attract those dream clients of yours.
- On the flip side, what kind of business do you want to have? Answer questions like:
- What makes my business unique?
- What do I want to be known for?
- What emotions or responses do I want my ideal clients to feel when coming across my brand?
From there, you can piece together a brand personality, which is a personality/characteristics that a brand or business has in which a consumer can relate to. By building a consistent set of personality traits, you can begin to piece together blog posts that align with that personality.
For example, are you an adventurous dog pack hiker in Colorado? If so, I imagine lots of outdoor-related blog post topics and imagery. I think my ideal clients would want to know…
- The best dog-friendly camping spots outside of Denver
- The best adventure gear for their pets (snow jackets, dog boots, harnesses, etc.)
- The specific practices you use to ensure their pet’s safety and exercise while on pack walks
- How well you know your stuff (like the terrain, your credentials, your first-aid ability, your training experience, etc.)
I hope this makes sense to begin piecing together topic ideas based on the first two steps above!
Best Pet Biz Blog Topics Step 3: Break it down
It’s really just a matter of breaking down the number of blog posts you’re going to write for your pet business with the type of content you’re going to produce!
So, say you’re getting started with even 1 blog post a month. That’s only 12 blog posts for an entire year! That’s 100% do-able!
Let’s break it down further:
- What holidays or seasons are coming up?
- What events are going on in the community you can talk about or share?
- What business stressors do you have that could be answered in the form of a blog post? (For example, people cannot figure out an aspect of your booking software. Create a tutorial! Or, if people ask you all the time about what to do when their dog does X? Write a post about it!)
- Ask your audience directly what they want to hear or learn about. Your current dream clients will probably have a lot in common with potential dream clients.
Best Pet Biz Blog Topics Step 4: Establish the goal
What are you trying to achieve through blogging? This can help you immensely when it comes to blog post topics for your pet business. Are you trying to get more website traffic? Alright, we’ll probably focus on more SEO-related content like pet-friendly guides to your area. The call-to-actions in the blog post (the action item we want people to take when they’re done reading) can be other pages on your website.
Or, are you trying to increase bookings? Try producing blog posts focused on what it’s like to work with you. Show them how easy it is to book. Share client spotlight stories of dogs who have forever changed once in your care, so dream clients can see their dog fitting into that story!
Some other tips:
- If you’re a local business, be sure to produce local content. What does this mean? Instead of just creating blog posts on ‘why you should choose a professional dog walker vs. family or friends?’ try to put together blog posts that relate directly to YOUR community. These can be pet-friendly guides to your city or interviews with other local pet business owners.
- For more blog post ideas, get access to my freebie, Blog Post Ideas for Pet Businesses, where I’ve shared tons of general ideas and also go into depth on 14 blog post ideas you should most definitely have on your pet business blog! You can access it right here!
And if you’re wanting to dig deeper into the process of building a blogging strategy for your pet business and go through the step-by-step process of writing a stellar blog post, I highly recommend checking out my new course, Blogging For Your Pet Biz. Plus, for all the Wear Wag Repeat fans, get 20% off using the code WEARWAGREPEAT at checkout.
About the Author:
Mikaela is the founder of Pet Marketing Unleashed, a pet industry content writing and web design business that focuses on helping pet businesses grow a modern and stress-free pet business. Mikaela is big on creating systems and strategies that reduce stress and gets pet businesses working behind the scenes. Get to know her on Episode 44 of the Wear Wag Repeat Podcast!
Mikaela is also the host of the Facebook group, Unleashed Petpreneurs, a community filled with other pet industry entrepreneurs looking to upscale their marketing, processes, and websites. Outside of work, you’ll find Mikaela walking along the beach with her crazy pup, Wilson or reading books with her husband in their small TV-less cottage in sunny, San Diego.
Did you like this post? Check out more content about your pet business:
The Best Jobs for Dog Lovers
31+ Black Women in the Pet Industry You Should Know
How to Make Pet Care More Inclusive