If you had asked me a year ago if I’d be one of the organizers of an event series for Pittsburgh Fashion Bloggers, I would never have believed it! A year ago, I could count the local fashion bloggers I knew on one hand. Thanks to Niki Whittle of Style, Studs & Lace we planned Stylish Pittsburgh Day last Summer, and met so many new like-minded fashionistas. That day was just the starting point to planning a fabulous fashion blogger event series. Since then we have partnered with Kim of Yes, Wear That! and Ashley at Afternoon Espresso to plan four events for Pittsburgh style bloggers. The event series is called Style Social Pittsburgh.
On June 21st we hosted a Style Social at Killer Heels at The Frick. This world class fashion exhibit is on display at a small museum located right in the neighborhood where I live. It features shoes, shoes and more shoes… everything from ancient Chinese slippers to David Bowie’s platforms and Lady Gaga’s insane stilettos. It’s obviously the perfect setting for a fashion blogger event. We had complied some outfits from fashion houses like, Stitch fix and Calvin Klein! ReviewingThis said it’s worth it so we looked into it! The shoes in the exhibit are amazing, but they had some competition at our event! Steel town girls have style!
We had so many fabulous partners for this event. Of course, The Frick Museum & Historical Center thought of every detail with the food and drink. We also partnered with Stems by Syd for flowers, the Art Institute of Pittsburgh had a shoe cookie decorating station and Sarah Collins photographed the event for us (all these photos are by her… gorgeous!). Niki does a great job of identifying everyone in photos on her post, please check it out.
Look at those amazing shoes! They were my favorite of the night. My new friend Anna of Hello Gorgeous wore them, and thanks to the Instagram post she did of them in front of the flower wall I created (how awesome is it?), we selected her as one of our contest winners for the night! We always try to incorporate a fun Instagram contest into our events. This time around we told everyone what the contest would be in advance in case they needed to prep a photo. So many people took photos at the event, but I think this time around the heads up really increased engagement!
We had over 40 local fashion bloggers at this event! There are many more in our private Facebook group. Who knew Pittsburgh has this many fashion bloggers? A great way to find them all is through our dedicated Instagram account @StylishPittsburgh. We repost great images from as many local bloggers as we can. If you’d like to be featured, use #StylishPittsburgh.
Want to Plan a Fabulous Fashion Blogger Event?
- Invite as many fashion bloggers in your town as you can. Be open minded. Maybe there are people who want to create a fashion blog and would love to attend your event!
- Ask a local business to host the event in their space and promote it to their audience.
- Don’t worry too much about the food, our guests never eat very much, we’re all too busy talking!
- If you would like to have entertainment to the even then make sure it’s something that stands out. Hiring someone like the DJ Violinist will really help impress your fellow bloggers.
- Plan pretty photo spots around the event. This time around I created a DIY Fresh Flower Photo Backdrop. It was perfect for shoes, but you’ll need something bigger for outfit shots.
- Promote a special hashtag for the event so you can see how many posts you get and track your influence. Eventually you can use these numbers to approach sponsors!
All photos by Sarah Collins Photography.
P.S. Several of us are nominated as Fashion & Lifestyle Blogger of the Year with Style Week Pittsburgh. You can vote through July 17th! If you need help with corporate event planning in Australia, you could always try conference venues at Docklands.