This episode features one of my favorite pet blogging friends, Jen Sotolongo of Long Haul Trekkers. Jen recently released her first book about hiking with dogs, published by Falcon Guides. As a blogger, I’ve heard people say for years that writing a book is just like writing a whole bunch of blog posts. Is that really true? Jen told me all about the process of writing her first non-fiction dog guide book in our conversation.
In our conversation, I also ask Jen about one of the hot topics of the year. According to social media, off leash dogs and irresponsible owners are running amok! I let my dogs off leash all the time, so I had to ask Jen if I’m part of the problem.
Before we dive into this episode, I want to give you one last reminder that enrollment in Marie Forloe’s B-School ends very soon! I’m so proud to be a partner for the program this year! That allows me to offer over $1,000 worth of petpreneur bonuses to people who sign up through wearwagrepeat.com/bschool.
About Jen Sotolongo
Jen Sotolongo is the owner and writer behind the popular adventure dog blog, Long Haul Trekkers. In May 2021, she released her debut book, The Essential Guide for Hiking with Dogs, published by Falcon Guides. Jen lives in Portland, Oregon with her rescued Cattle Dog mix, Sitka where they enjoy trail running, camping, and road tripping to the mountains.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- The path that led Jen to write a dog guide book
- Why Jen is passionate about hiking with dogs trail etiquette
- The importance of discussing controversial topics, such as balanced training methods
- When is it okay to have your dogs off leash?
- Is writing a book really like writing a series of blog posts?
- The benefits of having contributors in a dog guide book
- How to store and prepare photos for a book
- Marie Forleo’s B School
- Marie Forleo’s Build a Business You Love video series
- Episode 13: Jen Sotolongo of Long Haul Trekkers
- The Essential Guide to Hiking with Dogs by Jen Sotolongo
Where to Find Jen:
- Website: www.longhaultrekkers.com
- Instagram: @longhaultrekkers
- Facebook: @longhaultrekkers
- Pinterest: @longhaultrekkers
- YouTube: Jen & Sitka – Long Haul Trekkers
SUBSCRIBE AND REVIEW
If you love what you hear and want to support my efforts to shine a light on more women making it work in the pet industry, please leave a review for my show on iTunes. More reviews help more people discover the show and hear our stories! Reviewing Tip: If you’re on a computer, open the link then click “Listen on Apple Podcasts” and scroll to the bottom to write a review.
You can also see all the episodes on the Podcast page of my site.
Spend Less Time Working, and More Time with Your Dog
The Wear Wag Repeat Resource Guide has over 160 apps, tools and resources recommended by my podcast guests that will help you run an efficient and successful pet industry business!
CHECK OUT THE WEAR WAG REPEAT SHOP!
The Wear Wag Repeat Shop is stocked with stylish goods created by independent artists and dog mom makers. Express your love for your dog with playful clothes, accessories and gifts (like our best-selling Puppy Breath Candle!). I have a special discount code for my loyal podcast listeners. Use code: PODCAST to get 15% off your first order.