In this episode, I’m talking to an experienced pet industry pro with a background in corporate retail and professional FUN. The owner of Bow Wow Dog Bakery, Leel Michelle is sharing some great advice about creating a successful brick and mortar pet business like incorporating services into your retail shop. We also talk about how important pet birthdays are and how you can make them part of a special experience for your customers.
Creating a Successful Brick and Mortar Pet Business
Founded by Leel Michelle in 2006, Bow Wow Dog Bakery (formerly known as Bow Wow Beauty Shoppe) is an award-winning retro-themed dog bakery and pet boutique that also offers onsite pet grooming. Following a career in corporate retail management and corporate amusement park management, Le-el was inspired by her pint-sized Chihuahua Frida, Standard Poodle Mumsie, and Bichon Sugar to create a brand that utilizes her skills, creativity, and passion for catering to pets and pet parents. Le-el also enjoys giving back to the pet industry with trade show speaking engagements at events like SuperZoo and Global Pet Expo.
She contributes to print and online publications writing about topics such as pet store design, retail merchandising, client experience, and grooming salons.
Topics Discussed in this episode:
- How Le-el got her start with baking dog goods
- The differences between running a grooming business vs a boutique
- What the process is like for getting USDA/FDA approved
- The trends of dog birthdays and boutiques
- The essential elements to have in a brick and mortar pet business
- Favorite aspects of working in the pet industry
- Key activities for pet entrepreneurs to invest their time in
Find Bow Wow Dog Bakery:
- Bow Wow Dog Bakery on Instagram
- Bow Wow Beauty Shoppe on Facebook
- Bow Wow Dog Bakery on Pinterest
- Bow Wow Dog Bakery on WholesalePet.com
CHECK OUT THE SHOP!
SUBSCRIBE AND REVIEW
If you love what you hear and want to support my efforts to shine a light on more creative dog moms, please leave a review for my show on iTunes*. For every review, I give Lucy an extra special treat… how could you deny her?! *If you’re on a computer, open the link then click View in iTunes to write a review.
You can also see all the episodes on the Podcast page of my site.
*This post may contain affiliate links.